What are Allergies?
Allergies are caused when someone comes in contact with a particle that reacts with their body to release a chemical that cases nasal congestion, sneezing, watery eyes and a runny nose. Some common allergens are dust mites, pollen, molds, grasses or pet dander. Allergies may occur seasonally or year-round, depending on their cause.
How do Allergies affect your sleep?
- 59% of people with nasal allergies say they have trouble sleeping. – Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America.
- 48% say their sneezing and sniffling also disturb their bed partner’s sleep
Allergies cause swelling of the nasal passages that leave less room for air to move freely and obstructs your breathing. Gravity is also a foe of allergies when you lay down at night you cause the congestion to shift, hindering your breathing even more. Lack of sleep can be linked to fatigue and daytime sleepiness as well as decreased productivity at work or school, impaired learning and memory, depression, and a reduced quality of life.
What can you do?
There are some steps you can take in order to regain control of your sleeping habits during allergy season.
- Shower before bed
- Wash pets regularly
- Keep windows closed
- Keep your sheets clean
- Crank up the dehumidifier
- Keep your indoor air clean
- Avoid caffeine late in the day
- Consider anti-allergy bedding
- Avoid allergens when possible
- Keep bedroom cool, dark and quiet
- Try drinking tea to loosen congestion
- Give cats and dogs to nighttime boot
- Vacuum carpets and furniture regularly.
- Skip the nightcap but not your night time meds
- Power down electrical devices 1 hour before bed
- Regularly change sheets, pillows, and pillowcases
- Know when it is time for a new mattress and pillows
- Use vacuums and air cleaners rated for their ability to remove allergens
- Check your home’s heating and air system and consider an upgrade with better air filtration, if needed.
Find Relief from Allergies While You Sleep
IDLife sleep strips are a natural sleep aid that helps you fall asleep faster, stay asleep and awake refreshed without that drowsy feeling you get from most sleep aids. Mint-flavored sleep strips melt in your mouth to deliver a complex of nutrients. L-Theanine and 5HTP are used in a triphasic approach to support all stages of the sleep cycle.